Notes on Pedagogy
My graduate classes often involve students presenting the material we read for class. Here are my thoughts to some good pedagogy for such an exercise.
- Introduce yourself, the text, and the author(s)
- Practice, practice, practice with a time limit
- Digest, rework, and transform the knowledge of the text – make it approachable and easily understandable
- An elegant summary illustrates you know the material as well
- If you critique the text, be sure to make salient points
- Use examples – stories, anecdotes are helpful in fleshing out theories
- Use powerpoint sparingly, to highlight key ideas and visually reinforce them. It is not a teleprompter.